Peter_Vidal wrote:

I am reading about this command and I was wondering if anybody:

a) ... has used it and how.
b) ... likes it.
c) ... recommends to use it.

Peter:

Like most things, it needs to be considered along with its cost.

STRCPYSCN can be extremely useful as well as handy. The issue of being "one screen behind" is fairly minor in most circumstances once it's viewed as being "one AID-generating key" behind. That means that pressing the [Home] key can usually provide the current screen image. (The cursor often must be away from the 'home' position due an oddity in 5250 function.)

Although you said you couldn't use the [Attention] key to trigger this, almost any means of invoking the command can be used. I have a set of programs and commands that I can put on an [Attention] menu to handle STRCPYSCN.

The intent was to allow users to run STRCPYSCN when they needed to. The first of my commands starts STRCPYSCN to output to a new member in a file. The user invokes the command in order to run through whatever steps need to be captured.

Once started, the capture continues until the user invokes the command that runs ENDCPYSCN. That command does a couple other things including sending a message to a [Help] person that a new member has been added. The message identifies all that's needed for the [Help] person to start investigating.

Another command lets the [Help] person choose what member to review. Once a choice is made, a simple program retrieves that session and displays it a screen at a time. [PageUp]/[PageDown] navigates forward and backward through the screens. Everything on each screen, including whatever message might be on a message line, gets played.

A couple additional commands delete captured sessions and print sessions. The printing is down through a logical file that includes a translation table to clean up attribute bytes and a QM query that helps format each screen in a kind of standard 'documentation' format. The 'documentation' aspect has come in handy multiple times for quick training.

It's a real poor-man's tool, but it was priced right. The basics came with the system and the programming was simple. When I've made it available to users, they've found it easy to use and easy to get used to.

STRCPYSCN has it's drawbacks, but I wouldn't ignore it without exploration first.

Tom Liotta