hi Eric,

I think Trevor's thrust is more aimed at the comments of folks like Neil Palmer, Don Rima, Steve Richter, Bob Tipton. Folks who are supposedly advocates of the IBM i platform, but yet keep telling us that we should be fleeing this platform.

They keep saying things like "IBM is firing Frank Soltis", "IBM is not investing in i", "IBM only cares about services" despite that IBM says the opposite. Their arguments sound solid, and make people give serious thought to leaving. But they're not the only possible explanation.

Frank Soltis is older than the normal age of retirement in the USA. All companies in the USA (and even the world) are fighting a terrible economy, and need to take steps. Doesn't it make more sense to ask someone to retire rather than lay off someone who depends on the income? And who says Dr. Soltis is not leaving willingly? IBM sure didn't say that. Dr. Soltis didn't say that.

IBM is not investing in i? Because IBM laid off some people and cut some funding, they're not investing, right? Yet, I talk to IBM engineers who are making great and important new improvements for the next release. i 6.1 had great improvements, including those that help give this system a future. The integration of i and p means IBM can do more with less staff and less money, so it seems natural to cut spending and lay off people. Who isn't facing staff cuts and spending cuts in today's economy? That doesn't mean IBM is not investing in the platform! But, if we all listen to folks like Mr. Palmer and move to a different platform, then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

"IBM only cares about services." Yes, the services part of their business has grown, and there are advocates in IBM who believe their focus should be services. But not everyone. And because services is 55% of their profits does not mean that they don't care about the other 45% does it? If IBM is offered a growth in profits from the Power Systems group, I'm pretty sure they won't reject it.

The point is: Stop the "doom+gloom" as Trevor puts it, or the FUD as I put it. Be a System i advocate. That doesn't mean that you need to be a salesman.

But, when experts come into forums and/or publish articles that keep talking about the impending death of the system, it's bad for everyone.

In my opinion, it's not IBM, but ISV's that need to do better marketing. New customers don't care about the hardware architecture or operating system architecture. They care about the applications. It's up to the ISVs to sell their apps, and explain why their apps bring extra value because they're running on the i.

Since that ultimately benefits IBM as well, I think it's a good idea for IBM to assist the ISVs, providing funding and expertise.

But, right now, the ISVs are the weak link, IMHO. They are the ones that aren't marketing, except to the faithful. They often don't seem to believe in the platform. Many of them are cross-platform, and actually push the other platforms instead of extolling the virtues of i. This is where marketing is missing.

DeLong, Eric wrote:
I'm a technical guy, well versed in development, operations, and
administration. I understand the technology behind this system, and am
capable of designing and implementing a variety of solutions for my
employer. I AM NOT A SALESMAN!