A couple of small problems

This morning, in addition to a hard disk failure, the 520 phoned in a "bad hardware" (SRCB120E500) issue. I think it is just complaining that the memory configuration changed and perhaps I need to go into SST and remove the "non-reporting" hardware, but I am not sure.

When I do a WRKHDWRSC *PRC I see this for main storage:

MS01 30D2 Not detected 0MB Main Storage Card
MS02 30D2 Not detected 0MB Main Storage Card
MS03 30D2 Not detected 0MB Main Storage Card MS04 30D2 Not detected 0MB Main Storage Card MS05 30D3 Operational 1024MB Main Storage Card
MS06 30D3 Operational 1024MB Main Storage Card
MS07 30D3 Operational 1024MB Main Storage Card
MS08 30D3 Operational 1024MB Main Storage Card
MS09 30D5 Operational 2048MB Main Storage Card
MS10 30D5 Operational 2048MB Main Storage Card
MS11 30D5 Operational 2048MB Main Storage Card
MS12 30D5 Operational 2048MB Main Storage Card

STRSST shows the same resources under the failed and non-reporting hardware list:

Main Storage ? 30D2- Not installed MS01
Main Storage ? 30D2- Not installed MS02
Main Storage ? 30D2- Not installed MS03
Main Storage ? 30D2- Not installed MS04

The CE will be coming out later to replace the failed drive but I should be able to remove the "non-reporting" memory using SST, correct?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete Helgren wrote:
.....And all went well. Didn't get the fan cage plugged in firmly so it was a little cranky when starting up (read: It won't power up). But I firmly seated the cage the second time around and all was well. Need to do a little tuning now that there is a bit more memory on the i, but all is well.

Thanks for the help.

Pete

Pete Helgren wrote:
Thanks John. That *sounds* right. I knew that one way or the other the HMC has to see the memory before the partition profile could be changed.

I'll let you know how it goes. Should be "pushing the big button" shortly.....

Pete

Jones, John (US) wrote:
Install the memory and power up the 520 with partition standby; i.e. IPL the hardware but don't IPL the LPARs you want to change.

Update the LPAR profiles & activate/IPL the new profiles for the changes to take hold.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Sr. Analyst, Global Information Security