FYI -- After way, WAY too much personal time wasted on this project, there
is finally a solution...

System i Access for Windows V5R4 worked almost instantly. V6R1 took days of
my life (probably weeks with the added frustration).

I found an older laptop that had not yet been upgraded to V6R1 and success.

I had tried 3 computers on V6R1, a half-dozen different cables, every
conceivable IP address combo, all the 65+21 options that even remotely fit,
every adapter, back and forth chatter with IBM. All for naught.

If IBM can isolate why V6R1 does not work, I will share. Otherwise this
topic is dead to me :)

Thanks for all the ideas and insight,
Dave