lgoodbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
David, the procedure simply removes the "outside" quotes, not the inside
ones. If the string doesn't have any surrounding quotes then no harm.

RUNSQL2 CMD('update truc set ma=''hello'' where myzone = ''blah blah''')
REXX session:
'update truc set ma=''hello'' where myzone = ''blah blah'''
update truc set ma=''hello'' where myzone = ''blah blah''
Press ENTER to end terminal session.

One extra call in the REXX and problem solved. In my opinion the extra
flexibility and validation the command interface provides offsets
working with quotes.

I did it this way:

parse arg 'SQL('sqlstring') OUTPUT('
[snip]
sql = undouble_apost(substr(sqlstring,2,length(sqlstring)-2))
[snip]
exit

undouble_apost:

parse arg wrk?

do while pos("''",wrk?) \= 0
parse var wrk? head "''" tail
wrk? = head'00'x||tail
end

do while pos('00'x,wrk?) \= 0
parse var wrk? head '00'x tail
wrk? = head"'"tail
end

return(wrk?)
[snip]

I'm sure it can be much more efficient than that, but it's never been enough of a problem to be a... umm... problem.

In my usage, the outer quotes always exist; so, I cut them out as part of the argument to the undouble_apost() procedure. In the proc, I convert each doubled apostrophe to a '00'x token. Then I convert each '00'x token to a single apostrophe.

I know, I could've combined those into essentially a single operation by tracking my positions in the string; but that just didn't turn out to be worth the effort.

Tom Liotta