To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: iSeries email routing problem

Is your VPN a split tunnel? Does it tunnel everything to your network, or
only local traffic, sending the rest to the Internet. Traceroute would
tell you. May explain why it works for you.

Is smtp.xyz.com on the Internet? Do you have access? A netstat on that
side might show port 25 opening, proving if it s a problem routing there,
or back.

Two routers, eh? No firewall inside the network but is there one on the
edge? Asymmetric routes are perfectly legal on the Internet, but many
(stateful packet inspection) firewalls will detect this and will shut the
traffic down. Make sure you are routing out on the same network as the
inbound interface. You can add a host route smtp.xyz.com/255.255.255.255
to test.
Tom Kreimer
Network Manager
Buckhorn Inc, Milford OH

iSeries cannot telnet on port 25 to smtp.xyz.com or by it's ip address, or
ping it.
My pc can do all of the above (I'm vpn into network).
I have domain names set up 70.150.xx.xx smtp.xyz.com
We have two routers - one to T1, one to dsl.
Both routes working fine, in fact http server xyz.com working fine.
Both managed by AT&T - they claim nothing wrong and no blocking of
internal traffic going out.
Using bvstools mailtool with authentication, not the ibm smtp.
v5r4 w/latest cume
Nothing special set up. No firewall inside network.
pulling my hair out..
Jim Franz