I check QSYSMSG & other places regularly, so I am familiar with what is normally there. 99% of the time it is someone either forgot their password & ran out of guesses, or a flakey conneciton simulating same.

I have OUTQ Q400 to snare security audit checks, which get a nitely report for me off the job scheduler.

The last time I looked at QSYSMSG prior to the big outage, it had info on a couple recent 1 second outages, where it shows the time when switch between utility & battery.

After the IPL telling DSPLOG that this was after an abnormal down, QSYSMSG was empty.

As of when I last looked at QSYSMSG, this week, it had info on a 2 second outage 9/30 nite.

DSPLOG had lots of ugly messages right before the 400 went down, in what I would call a fast death.

I am at home right now, without access to the log to see the specific messages.
I may post again from the office later.

Question for you Al: When the UPS died, did you receive a CPF1816 System utility power failed at 080920043022 like message? Or did your box die a slow death? When I got the CPF1816, our system started an abnormal shutdown. This is what I'm getting at:

"Is a shutdown due to an insufficient QUPSDLYTIM value the same as a shutdown when you have no sense cable (and therefore QUPSDLYTIM is irrelevant) and the UPS drains? In the former case, the system knows it's on a UPS, in the latter it doesn't.

Bryan Burns