We were also exceptionally fortunate because everyone off the system because they knew I would be doing EOM. I was at an EOM stage I call "Point of No Return", where I have run a ton of standard reports, but before doing certain end fiscal rollovers of records, we launch a backup.

Had I run the backup on normal schedule, the outage would have taken the system down in the middle of the backup, and maybe damaged the backup tape, which is rather expensive. However, before launching backup, I was throwing together new queries to extract totals in a couple areas of recent hot topic interest.

We had had a recent change in where the company wants cost of goods in credit memos to hit the GL, so I was getting new queries to extract totals of what was going on there.

Also we have reports showing total sales for the month, and total sales of items sold, which have cost data, and input to receivables factoring in 2% if paid in 10 days ... questions had been raised about discrepancies between these different totals, so I was adding queries to extract totals of sales of non-items & some other areas to try to reconcile the differences.

So when the power went out, the only stuff on the system was me creating some new query definitions. That was a heck of a lot better than had it happened while backup was running, or mass of users doing their daily things.

We were fortunate because our system ABEND (due to an erroneous power failure message) occurred at 4:30:22 on a Saturday morning when there very little activity on the system.