Richard,

I ordered a JS12 blade to replace the 520 we had coming off of lease. The blade has 2 147GB mirrored drives and the BC chassis has 6 - 146GB for backups and VIOS. I got 8GB of RAM as well. The whole kit and kaboodle showed up as I was leaving for a customer visit this week (300 lbs) and although I was itching to start setting it up, I'll have to wait until this weekend (and until my in-laws leave !!) in order to play a bit. Given that Lukas and Steve have already had some experience with this, I hope it up and running quickly.

We went the the Bladecenter route on this lease because we already have other Windows and Linux boxes and plan to gradually consolidate them. I also have a 270 at V5R3M0 that we'll keep running until the wheels fall off (or MY wheels fall off, which is more likely!)

I'll let you know how it goes. We only have a maximum of 3-4 developers banging on the box at one time so it may not work out as well in a larger shop.

Pete

Richard Schoen wrote:
To all the hardware experts:

We're going to be getting a new development box and we need the
following:

-Capability to run multiple LPARS (2-4)
-Capability to run multiple OS versions and OS's (Linux, V5R4, V6R1,
maybe V5R3 ??)

Questions:
- What would you recommend for a machine today ?
- How far back on OS levels can we go on LPAR partitions ?
- How much minimum disk is needed for each partition typically ? (50gb,
100gb, less ?)
- How much minimum memory is needed for each partition typically ?
Any thoughts or feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.
Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc. "Get the information you need. Now!"
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business
Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800