From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:00 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Replacing Disk Drives With Higher Capacity

I've got a 730 on V5R2 with 48 mirrored 8GB drives, system is currently
at 70% utilization. I purchased 48 17GB drives with a plan for a full
scale replacement.

I'd really like to avoid a save/restore scenario, which I believe I
-could- do with save storage. What I'd rather do is a piecemeal
replacement. Anyone have any ideas or comments?

One idea I have would be to stop mirroring on the system. This should
give me immediately 24 unconfigured drives, correct? Could I then pull
the unconfigured 24 and replace them with 24 17GB's, configure them and
then start mirroring? Obviously the problem with this is mirroring is
stopped.

One other option would be to pick a few mirrored pairs and remove them
from the ASP. Replace them, add them back and then continue on. If
this is feasible, could this be done via SST, or would it need to be
done via DST? I'm thinking that it has to be via DST since mirroring is
involved.

Also, can the load source only be replaced with save/restore?
Backup/Restore manual doesn't seem to cover this.

Bill