When I log onto the sftp site WITHOUT an entry in .ssh/known_hosts, I AM
required to enter a password. The key pair has to be there for sftp to do the
encryption. Encrypt with private key, decrypt with public key. No digital
certificates. My question: how does Wells Fargo do data encryption without
using public key / private key AND also not using a digital certificate?

When I started using sftp with this remote site, I received from them, via
email, their public key. I then sent them, also via email, my public key. Public keys get stored into a file (can't recall the name) in the .ssh
directory. This is a manual process. However, when I use FileZilla, lots of
things are performed in the background. I am wondering if their statement that
"key exchange is not yet supported" may mean that the public key has to be
manually copied to the appropriate file, and that maybe, later, that part of
the process could be automated. How else are you to be able to do data
encryption?

John McKee

Quoting Dave Odom <Dave.Odom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

John & Jerry,

John,

If understood you correctly, your post speaks about exchanging the public key file. Wells Fargo says that key exchange is not yet supported in their implementation of SFTP for Secure File Transport. So that's out.

Jerry & John,

Wells Fargo's document entitled "Wholesale Transmission Options" says that to do SFT with them using SFTP, you much use a userid and password only "(gigital certificates are not supported with SSH)" and the passwords must be changed every 60 days.

So, please look at my original forum submission (Subject line) and provide specific implementation answers if you can.

Thanks,

Dave