On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Thomas Garvey <tgarvey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have tried the STRPCCMD and finally got it to work, but it's clunky in
that it first brings up a DOS window (with nothing in it) and then finally
displays the pdf document. When the PDF document is closed, the DOS window
shows the message 'Press any key to return' and the user must press Enter
again to return to whatever was happening in the green screen session.

In iSeries Access for Windows Properties, there's a tab: Incomming
Remote Command.
One option is the command mode. Play with the options there (sorry
its been years since I set mine up at a prior job) . You might also
look at the various Windows command line options.

Worse, it doesn't work unless the PC user has previously mapped the IFS as a
drive in Windows Explorer.

Not true. simply use a fully qualified path start with your iSeries
NetServer name.
\\MySysI\ShareName\Directory\myfile.pdf

I've also looked into trying to use a browser for the pdf document, but that
requires an HTTP server to be running, which I also can never guarantee.
I'm am intriqued by your idea of showing the pdf file's path as a URL and
allowing the user to click on it. I wonder what configuration would be
required for that (other than the availability of the browser program). I
think I've seen this done at a client site on their internal network. Can
you enlighten me or direct me to an example?

Just turn it on under from the 5250 session, Edit-->preferences.

Thanks for your advice.

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey