I got an off list response from someone who needed a little coffee.

Just for clarification...
The original SQL statement was this:
select QCMDEXC('SBMJOB JOB(' CONCAT MBFILE CONCAT ') CMD(RGZPFM FILE('
CONCAT MBLIB CONCAT '/' CONCAT MBFILE CONCAT ') MBR(' CONCAT MBNAME CONCAT

')'),
mbfile, mblib, mbndtr as DeletedCount, mbmxrl as MaxRcdLen,
mbndtr*mbmxrl as DeletedSpace, mbaccp
from qtemp/mbrinfo
where mbfila='*PHY' AND MBNDTR>0 AND MBFILE NLIKE 'QADB%'
order by mbndtr*mbmxrl desc

The resultant QCMDEXC is only this:
SBMJOB JOB(' CONCAT MBFILE CONCAT ') CMD(RGZPFM FILE(' CONCAT MBLIB CONCAT
'/' CONCAT MBFILE CONCAT ') MBR(' CONCAT MBNAME CONCAT ')')
or
SBMJOB JOB(MYFILE) CMD(RGZPFM FILE(MYLIB/MYFILE) MBR(MYMBR)

So, no, the submitted job doesn't care about the file QTEMP/MBRINFO

Think of it much like this simple CL program (without the appropriate
MONMSG or newer coding structures):
READ:
DCLF QTEMP/MBRINFO
RCVF
SBMJOB JOB(&MBFILE) CMD(RGZPFM FILE(&MBLIB/&MBFILE) MBR(&MBNAME)
GOTO READ