From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 9:47 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Trouble with an outer join

Y'all

Allow me to add another vote for QMQRYs and QMFORMs - you can do so much
more with these than you can with Query/400 (the old name - sorry). You can
even use and/or convert your *QRYDFNs to a degree - there are some
limitations there.

If you can use the STRSQL command, you can use what is called Query Manager
- QM actually means Query Management, NOT Query Manager. QM is a
cross-platform technology that IBM has - it's on mainframes, too.

"Query Manager Use" is a manual that is very helpful - find it at

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/books/sc415212.p
df

or

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/i5os/topic/books/sc41
5212.pdf

"Query Management Programming" gives you maybe more than you ever wanted to
know about the subject. But there are very important chapters on how QM
differs from *QRYDFNs, the problems you will encounter in that realm. Find
this manual at

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/books/sc415703.p
df

or

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/i5os/topic/books/sc41
5703.pdf

Enjoy!
Vern
From: "Elvis Budimlic" <ebudimlic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Emily, Chuck said it best.

I'd just add that SQL is not a reporting tool and to do what you desire
you
need a reporting tool. There are tons of them out there and Chuck's
suggestion for QMQRY are the best fit for you I think.
I'd also recommend Web Query, if you have access to it. It's very easy to
accomplish what you want using Web Query.

HTH, Elvis.

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com