Implicit in Charles' response is that if you want to make SQL behave the
same as RPG, you can change the default value to whatever you want. Since
table already exists you can ALTER it with something like:

ALTER TABLE QTEMP/T1
ALTER COLUMN F1
SET DATA TYPE DATE
NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT '0001-01-01'

I also recommend changing your creation script to set the default to what
you want in case you regenerate the database in the future.

HTH, Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com