On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 7:22 AM, <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As I understand it, and our hardware guy does, too, you only need an SAS inside the blade itself - for a load source kind of thing. You can use the SATA in the slots for the rest of disk.

You'll need a Blade-Internal Disk to install VIOS on it. These are
2.5" Disks. In my case, they're two 147GB SAS Drives.

Other than that, you connect the blade to disks located in the DSM in
the chassis - these are 3.5" Drive bays that can use either SAS or
SATA disks. The SATA Disks work fine when zoned with an Intel Blade.
They do not work when zoned with the JS12 Blade running VIOS.

This is also documented:

http://www.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/blades/i_on_blade_readme.pdf

Point 4.5:

As with the BladeCenter H, IBM i does not have physical access to
storage when running in the
BladeCenter S. In this case, storage is provided in the chassis itself
in the form of one or two
Disk Storage Modules (DSMs), each containing up to 6 SAS drives. While
SATA drives can also
be placed in the DSMs, they are not supported for IBM i. The minimum
SAS configuration in the
BladeCenter S is one DSM with one SAS drive