From: Jerry Adams <Jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Happy Birthday to the AS/400, iSeries, System i, IBM i
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Dr. Frank didn't address "maintenance levels"
in today's webinar, but he did say that Power 7 was due
in 2010. Doesn't sound like they're giving up. In
fact, based upon past history (my major at UT), they're
probably already working on Power 8 and, even, 9.

He, also, talked about the new supercomputer at Los Alamos
(someone posted a link to an article this week) and its
basic (but still over my head) architecture and how it
relates to the i. Again, doesn't sound like
retrenchment to me. I don't know "who" the
trade media are, but it may be that, while reading some
financials, they may have simply seen reduced costs and
translated that into "maintenance" while it *may*
simply mean "doing more with less." I don't
have any facts; just speculation of various possible
scenarios.

What I found especially interesting was his discussion of
chip density (make it smaller to make it faster) and how
that limitation (small size) has probably been reached. As
well as the diminishing returns of threads on processing
speeds; doubling the number of threads does *not* double
the speed. After either 32 or 64 threads (hope I got that
right; I wasn't taking notes) there is little or no
improvement, but the complexity of managing those threads
increases as you add more, which means changes
(enhancements) to all languages, including RPG and COBOL -
but because of the i's architecture (aka: Planning
Ahead) even 36 environment programs will be able to
continue running - without re-compiling.

A trivia bit he threw in was that PASE originally stood for
Private Address Space Environment; marketing changed it to
Portable Applications Solution Environment.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale
office: 615-995-7024