Because the extender features are generic across DB2, documentation is somewhat limited in what is specific to the DB2 for i5/OS. I believe it is the V8 [Version 8] that is delivered as 5722-DE1 for i5/OS V5R4; see the ftp link below which suggests that is the case. However the link I have for i5/OS V5R2 documentation [SH12-6720] is from V7 [Version 7.2]. That documentation will probably suffice for your inquiry, including direction to use QSHELL for the administrator commands [thus the *nix variant examples]:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/books/h1267201.pdf
Another link I had, but which is now dead, for which I can not find a replacement:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/extenders/text/teiseries/support.html

Additionally:

A google search on "DB2 UDB Text Extender" is a decent search against site:ibm.com, and should lead to the IBM URLs for the DB2 family: www.ibm.com/db2 which resolves to /software/data/db2

The following is a document from the DB2 for i5/OS group, giving an update for capabilities in v6r1 of i5/OS [now the i operating system 6.1 ?] and reference to the extender capabilities available on prior releases of i5/OS:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_i/techoverviews/v6r1/V6R1_DB2_Related.pdf

The following is a support page for the DB2 family:
http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/support/textextender/
The following is under 'Learn' at the above support page:
http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/h1267480.pdf

I thought there was at least one Redbooks document which covered Text Extender function, but I only found Chapter 3 of the following .pdf with link from abstract:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246130.html?Open
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246130.pdf
and Chapter 9 as a general Extenders overview in the following .pdf with link from abstract:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246539.html?Open
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246539.pdf

Regards, Chuck

Wilt, Charles wrote:

Does anybody know where the documentation is for the i5/OS version of
DB2 UDB Extenders licensed programs?

5722DE1 *BASE DB2 UDB Extenders
5722DE1 1 Text Extender for iSeries
5722DE1 2 XML Extender
5722DE1 3 Text Search Engine

Specifically, I'm interested in the Text Extender and/or Text Search
Engine....

I don't know for sure which one, since I can't seem to find out any
information about the text Search Engine and what it does compared to
the Text Extender. Although I did find some stuff about "Net Search
Engine"; is that the same thing? It seemed to work with the Text
Extender.

All I want is fast searching when looking for words in a 40 character
description column.

My understanding is that the Extenders for iSeries are the same as
what's available for other platforms, I did find the manual for LUW
v8 Text Extender, at it mentions the iSeries as a supported system,
but that is the only place i5/os is mentioned. When the manual shows
how to use a command, it gives a Windows example and a Unix example,
I assume i5 would more closely follow Unix. But I don't completely
follow what I need to do.

Is there any i5/OS specific information out there?

Can anybody confirm that i5/OS v5r4 Extenders == v8 LUW Extenders?