Let's just do everything twice, huh?

Jeff Crosby wrote:
As I have noted at least once before, I have gone through and converted over 360 DDS defined PF to be DDL defined. Plus all the associated LF to Indexes/Views. I am now doen to the last 2 PF, the order header and order detail (ORHDR and ORDTL, respectively). I saved these for last because they would be the hardest.

They are both multimember and have associated LF, also multimember. There are 2 permanent members, 1 for current days orders and 1 for advance orders. There are also hundreds of transient members added/removed daily, normally removed within seconds of being added. What happens is the sales people (called a DSR in the business) transmits an order from their laptop, a unique member is added to the files, the order gets placed into that member, gets processed, and the results transmitted back to the DSR immediately. By putting each of these orders into it's own member, it is kept logically separate. After the results are transmitted to the DSR, the order gets moved to the advance order member and the transient member is removed. There are no performance issues whatsoever with this approach.

There are 66 (!) RPG programs that touch one or both of these files. A CL wrapper with OVRDBF is what points RPG to the correct member. Many of these CLs also have OPNQRYF in them. I am hitting my head against the wall trying to come up with an elegant way to do all this. I'm sure I have to add a MEMBER field to the files. But I'm trying to find a way that I don't have to rewrite it all.