Like you are suggesting, you should be fine with the items in the emulator
folder being easy to transfer. For any PC that are going to be a 'new'
setup, you could build a similar folder with a basic template of sessions
that you could use as a base setup.

As far as simplifying an install/configuration that may be done by
neophytes, what I would do is spend a number of hours carefully documenting
an install the way you want it performed (install, select/deselect these
options, reboot, run this service pack in this folder, copy this Emulator
folder to the such and such drive, etc.), and then build a fairly
bulletproof checklist they can follow as they install. Then test it with
someone that's not very familiar, revise, etc.

Jerry Adams
<jerry@bwwholesal
e.com> To
Sent by: Midrange-L
midrange-l-bounce <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx cc

Subject
04/22/2008 04:36 Massive Client Access Install
PM

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

By massive I mean that there are going to be about 30-40 PC's purchased
and installed from ground zero. The questions du jour relate to Client
Access.

I think we can save the \Program Files\ibm\client
access\emulator\private folder to a network drive (defining each user
uniquely, of course) and just copy that back onto the PC once C/A is
installed. That should keep all of the user's session Ids, printer
emulations, keyboard mappings and colors, etc. If that is erroneous, I
would certainly like to know.

The bigger question right now, though, is: Is there an easy way to see
what each user currently has selected for other stuff, such as ODBC. I
know I can go into "Selective Setup" off of the iSeries Access for
Windows option in the PC's Start menu, but I have been looking for
either a report (don't I wish!) or an .ini or such file. I've found a
few files of that nature but none that appears to contain that stuff.

It would seem apparent that I will have to do a full blown re-install
rather than just copy some folders because of the entries in the Windows
Registry, including re-defining the connection to the production
machine. But any simple and easy to understand short cuts would be
appreciated because I think their going to farm this PC set-up out to a
couple of PC geeks who look cross-eyed at me when I say AS/400, iSeries,
System i, or anything that doesn't sound like "PC".

Thanks.

--
* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst