From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lukas Beeler
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:57 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Changing out drives on a 170: any "gotchas"?

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:43 AM, James Lampert
<jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's been a while since I've changed out a drive on a 170. Are there
any
"gotchas"?

The 170 already has hot plug cages with SCA ports (no SCSI ID needed).
So the mechanical part becomes easy.

Whether you need to take any special precautions depends on a lot of
factors.

a) What kind of protection is in place? Mirrored? Parity?
b) What kind of disk are you replacing (Load Source?)
c) What version of OS are you running?

The InfoCenter is always a helpful resource, but there's no Infocenter
that still has Infos on a Model 170.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/scope/hw/index.jsp?topi
c=/iphal/replacediskos400poweron.htm&resultof=%22replace%22%20%22disk%22

If you read through that stuff you should be able to figure out what
you need to do, but there's a lot of moments where you need to rethink
for the older hardware and OS.