Hi Steve,

I can't decide if you are deliberately undiplomatic or if you just aren't thinking about what you're saying, e.g. "Lukas's I always read because he actually works with the system..." implies no one else on the list "actually works with the system". Riighhht, we just hang out here because we're all literature majors and just want to practice writing<g>.

Either way, you always manage to get a flurry of indignant emails and I usually learn something, although I have to say I have yet to put any of it to practical use. Which brings me to my question -- exactly what kind of programming are you doing that /requires/ 64-byte pointers? And what program could you write if you just had at least 11 characters for the object names? Ok, ok, at least 4096 characters like we have in RPGLE? Are you unable to write these programs now? Or do you think it's a performance thing to have 64-byte pointers? I'd think pointers that long would slow things down if they were used ubiquitously -- i.e. throughout the OS -- unless the hardware is modified to support them.

And why would you need pointers that large anyway? 2^512 = 1.3e+154 according to MS Calculator or about 1.5 googols, so you could "list of the state of every particle at every measurable unit of time since the Big Bang" (wikipedia) and still have 1 x 10**14 or so addresses leftover.

Just curious.

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> /

Steve Richter wrote:
relax Jack. All is posted in the spirit of improving the system and
exploring interesting technical issues.

I delete a lot of messages on this list automatically. Lukas's I
always read because he actually works with the system and has
interesting things to say.