There are a number of ways to work around the restriction you've
encountered, but I think you're best off having an RPG program set your
library list and specify it as a target for the UDF (instead of CL). This
way you can declare input as VARCHAR and a single UDF will handle both CHAR
and VARCHAR input as CHAR is implicitly promoted to VARCHAR by the DB2
engine, when a UDF with matching (CHAR) signature is not found.

As for INOUT on CL... I don't see why that wouldn't work.

HTH, Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i5/OS and OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com