Actually I tend to agree. Conditional compilation is a bit of an eye
strain. And, is one more roadblock on the adoption of ILE by some of the
"more seasoned" people one works with.

Where I mostly use conditional compilation is APIs and the rot

main program
/copy APILIB/APISRC,APIONE

APIONE member
/copy APILIB/APISRC,ERRC0100

ERRC0100 member
/if not defined(ERRC0100)
/define ERRC0100
* ERRC0100 - Error code data structure
D ERRC0100 DS
D BytesProvided 10I 0 INZ(%len(errc0100))
D BytesAvail 10I 0
D ExceptionId 7A
D Reserved1 1A
D ExceptData 250A
D ERRC0100P S LIKE(ERRC0100)
/endif

I follow the same logic for the formats used with the API's.
I used to put the conditional compilation in the higher levels, but this
was much more acceptable to coworkers, and I agree.