Another myth that needs to be busted.

The High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991 was the
legislation that enabled the world wide web to happen. And it was called the
Gore bill, since Al was the one who introduced it. Without this bill, the
www may not have happened. So, while Al fibbed when he said "During my
service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the
internet", he was not that far from being responsible for opening it up to
the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Performance_Computing_and_Communication_Ac
t_of_1991
or http://tinyurl.com/3dtkvh