Hi Jeff,

I would start with CGIDEV2. It's free and very easy to get started, since it's pure RPG.

At some point, if you find that CGIDEV2 is lacking in functionality that you need, then you can always move on to another solution later. The stuff you learn when you learn CGIDEV2 will serve you well in understanding PHP or JSP (the simplest web paradigm for Java), or even 3rd party tools like RPGsp, WebSmart or Icebreak.

Jeff Young wrote:
All,
I have a new application that I need to provide a WEB front end interface for.
The actual processing will be done on the System i using RPGLE and CL.
I need to connect to the System i with a valid User ID and Password - verify and indicate if not authorized.
After connection, I need to display a list of reports that user can select.
The reports may have additional data that needs to be validated like dates and name and any errors displayed back to the user.
The selection may require a list of data being sent back to the web application and then allowing the user to select a record for processing.
After processing, the report needs to be sent back to the browser as a PDF file.

I have no problem with the back end application, and if it were not a browser application, it would be a no brainer.
The only requirement for the user connecting to the system is that they have a browser.
With the exception of JAVA (I do not know it and the learning curve is too steep for this project), what would you recommend for the browser interface.