Anne, thank you for the response.
You raise the right points and hint at facts known by others, but in the end you leave us to take your word for it, just as everyone else has. I don't mean that in a mean way at all, and yes, I do take your word for it. But gads! Some days it is tough to do.

Why does IBM feel compelled to treat us, who have committed our careers to this platform, like we are unworthy of knowing what is going on? Honestly, I do feel like a mushroom when it comes to IBM's treatment. The fertilizer is first rate, but it's still fertilizer; and it sure gets dark in here.

Its been five years since I last attended the New England Conference, but I do remember a conversation from that conference. We were standing at the back of the ballroom room and some one said "We've been hearing about the graying of COMMON. Look out there and tell me what you see?" We looked. Lots of gray. lots of bald, lots of women. But surprisingly, a lot of young hair too. We talked about it and decided that the New England Conference was cheaper, so companies sent the lower echelon people, while COMMON was a reward for long service, etc. so of course it was gray.

Anne Lucas wrote:
First of all, if you want credibility y'all gotta have the facts! So
far, I haven't seen many facts in this discussion. It seems to mostly
be a lot of frustration, fear, uncertainty and doubts about the future.
I'll add my two cents.
Frankly, based on discussions I've had with key IBM execs who "own" the
product called i5/OS, I'm more excited about it than I've ever
been...yes, Don, I am a cheerleader because I choose to be! But, I have
the facts from the decision makers! This product is exciting, it is
viable, it solves nearly every business challenge a company might have.
IBM continues to invest, big time! in product strategy and creation.
The best planners and developers are still Rochester-based people who
are true technology innovators. And last year, I was truly blown away
when I met with IBM technie folks in Raleigh on the x & p technologies.
My goodness, they, too have awesome technology!! Actually, it sounded
like "i" stuff to me!
It does me no good to whine about marketing, or what I might see in "my
own world"...I've got to look at the big picture of what could be done
with i5/OS and other IBM technologies. Then make sure those who have
purchasing power see the value to their business. Regarding your questions, Booth, I've answered in <<brackets>>. I no
longer work for IBM so I don't have specifics, but this is what I know.
********

Just look at the average age of people with i5/OS qualifications. <<We
don't know that. There are no statistics that I've found from Harte
Hanks, Nate Viall, etc. If you have a valid study, I'd love to see it!
I'm serious! and curious! >>

Look how many new i5/OS users you see on this list (when was the last
post here in the style of "we just bought or first i and have problem
X"? <<perhaps we need to be sure IBM & BPs provide this forum to
customers new to the product. However..... it would probably scare the
"pants off of them" to read some of the "stuff" that is said in this
forum.>>

How many new ISVs that release end-user products do you see? <<There
is a document that lists new ISVs...I'll look for it if you are
interested>

How many current-generation applications for the System i are being
released? <<Good question....you mean from the ISV non-IBM vendors?>>

How much effort do you see to bring new ISVs to the System i? <<Lots
of efforts. IBM has been meeting head on with all of them.>>

There are still many people using the System i. Enough of them so that
IBM still moves i5/OS forward and provides new features for it. This is
a good thing. <<I know IBM has not cut its R&D for the i5/OS
product....last number I heard was close to $1B (not an official number,
but close!.>>

But the influx of new customers is very, very low. Lower than the number
of customers migrating away from the platform. <<Where did this data
come from?>>

So, what is happening right now is that the platform is in a (slow)
downward spiral - less customers - less improvements - less customers
etc. <<Have you seen the latest customer count? Do you know it is
less than last year, or the year before. Where did your info come from?
"Less improvements???" Did you see the latest announcements?>>

Will the System i still be around in 5 years? I'm no IBM exec, but I
would strongly think so. As long as they're earning money with it,
they'll continue supporting and selling it. But as the situation is
right now, the moment where they'll start losing money on the platform
will come. It's just a question of when. <<i5/OS....yes! as it
evolves and new technology becomes available...due that R&D and customer
requirements change, they may change the name to i6/OS. That doesn't
mean it's ability to run the busieness is going to stop!>>

.....Anne
Have a blessed day!
Anne Lucas Customer Account Executive, Genisys Group, Inc.
205-823-4831 Office, 205-746-6850 Mobile
Fax: 205-690-4193 or 615-250-4889 email: alucas@xxxxxxxxxxx
AOL Instant Message: So Anne Lucas
www.teamggi.com