I call you an AS/400!

On 2/22/08 10:33 AM, "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anne Lucas wrote:
It is sad, Trevor, that some of those who consider themselves the
biggest cheerleaders of the AS/400 cannot/will not change with the
times.
Can we please try to keep the personal characterizations and attacks
down to a minimum? A large part of the heat in this subject is not the
facts, but the butt-ugly attitudes of the presenters. It's worse than
watching Clinton and Obama go at it.
Wow. You took a generalization from Anne, and turned it into a specific
about you and you alone. This only happens when the responder feels guilty.
Read what Anne wrote, Joe and stop polluting the argument. It is only
personal if you let it be personal. Sorry you have that inclination.

I don't think anybody here wants to use old names, and in fact most of
at least say iSeries and many use System i. The biggest complainer is
Don, and I don't think he so much refuses to use new names as is pissed
off that he has to. The facts are that the terms have changed far more
often in the last year than ever ni the history of the box. The number
one evangelist for the name change, Mr. Perry, has the following chronology:
Mr. Perry was my father.

In June he was calling us names for not using "i5". This term has since
been deprecated.
Where are the names I am calling you? Please be specific.

I am sure you have the "evidence" and I am sure you interpreted my words
differently. I am also sure I did NOT ever tell anyone they should use i5
for the name for the platform. Ever. What are you drinking this morning?
Stop polluting the argument with false "facts".

In October he was calling us names for not using "System i". This term
has since been deprecated.
Where are the names I am calling you? Please be specific.

The platform name as used by IBM has been System i since January 2006. That
is the name I have advocated since then. Period. What are you smoking this
morning? Stop polluting the argument with false "facts" - aka lies.

BTW, the System i name is not deprecated, and is still used. It is the name
of the hardware server that is currently being sold by IBM.

And now, he is calling us names for not using "i5/OS".
Where are the names I am calling you? Please be specific.

IBM currently uses i5/OS to identify our OS, and they are focusing on the
OS. This transition was made as the hardware platform in which i5/OS can run
on System i servers and Power6 blades.

And, as you may see the trend, I continue to ask IBM for ~a~ name which we
can all use together. And yes, I am critical of those who think that using
the name "AS/400" to refer to the platform, because there is no such
platform available from IBM today.

Being critical is not calling names. Stop polluting the argument.

While I have no idea what the next name will be, I'm sure we'll be told
we're change-hating Neanderthals for not hopping on that particular
bandwagon.
Aha! A name!! Someone called a name! But hang on, I never used it. You did,
Joe. You cannot say I called you a name I did not. Stop polluting the
argument.

The attitude (with the dripping sarcasm) is what sucks. Even though the
nom du jour has changed three times in the last 12 months, the
implication is instead that we're dunderheaded morons for not marching
lemming-like over the cliff every time IBM comes up with a new name, or
drops an old one, or changes direction.
The "name" has not changed since January 2006. Why are you cluttering the
argument with noise?

System i has been the platform name, and in many cases, is still the right
name to use. Especially when you refer to the family of servers that include
AS/400, iSeries, System i5 and System i.

i5/OS, the name of the operating system since 2006, has not changed since
then. Because IBM is focusing on the OS name instead of the hardware name,
does that mean it changed? No! Why are you polluting the argument.

We're not stupid, we're not Luddites, we're not IBM-bashers. And I
resent the hell out of being told that I'm not helping the platform,
just because I refuse to jump on the quarterly name-change bandwagon.
You want to help the platform? Shut up about the name and get IBM to
market the thing. It doesn't matter what I call it if it ain't in WSJ
on a regular basis.
Aha! Another name YOU called. Not one I used. Where did I call people
stupid, Joe? Just because you say I did does not make it so. Just because
you are feeling stupid from reading my words does not mean I called you
stupid. Those are your insecurities kicking in, and you should not be
inflicting the world with your own feelings of inadequacy. You can make
ridiculous claims like that, and because you are noisy on a forum does not
make your lies into truth.

There. Now ya made me use up my March rant.
Welcome back.

Joe

P.S. Thanks for the suggestion that my sarcasm was dripping. I was not aware
that I was using sarcasm, but apparently my frustration overrode my intent,
apparently. But 'dripping' was way beyond my wildest dreams. Thanks for
taking this all out of context!

P.P.S. Please stop lying about what I have said. Your lies may support your
argument, but they are simply lies.