On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 3:01 PM, <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If he only needs to do what he would have done with a thin, or twinax,
console then it should be quite easy. I really can't imagine a fifty year
old financial guy that's never used a web browser.
Click here. Sign into HMC. Click on the lpar. Select start shared
console session. Use this console session password.... that way I can
connect remotely, if need be.

You're a technical guy. I'm a technical guy. This is easy for me. This
is easy for you.

But it is NOT easy for someone non-technical. There's a difference
between "Turn this switch, then logon" and a full page of instructions
where to click. And imagine if he gets a session reconnect screen when
logging in, etc. Or when he misclicks somewhere and hides the 5250
window behind the HMC interface. And then tries to connect again, etc.
pp.

This is not IBMs fault - the HMC is intended for technical personnel
to use. But it would be nice if it could be configured into a "dummy
console" mode which would require a key combination to turn it into a
fully functional mode. Best of both worlds.

The ThinConsole is not that bad. It works as a standalone console
somewhat decently (we have about 30 of them deployed on customers
systems). The big downside of the ThinConsole is that it doesn't offer
remote access. OpsConsole opens the same can of worms the HMC has, and
also adds complicated OS maintenance into the setup (there were
Windows Updates that broke some of the hacks OpsConsole uses).

So, i can only recommend the Thin Console. It works. It doesn't fuss
around much. The only problem i have encountered is that the Console
Window silently loses focus and requires a mouse click, but it's easy
enough. It also forgets the HMC Access Password from time to time, but
that's not much of a problem either.

Of course, what i would like was a HMC that cost 1000$ and could be
switched into a TC like "Easy Mode" :) Not going to happen, but i can
dream ;)

Then again, how often would a fifty year old financial guy need to use the
console? Are you having him do the GO SAVE, option 21 regularly?

Yes, most of our customers perform the Save 21 on their own. And those
are small businesses without any IT staff. This is not often, maybe
once a month or once per quarter. But that makes it even more
dangerous because he won't get much experience.

And i don't like gettings calls about such stupid issues late in the
evening, even if i get money for it. The customer doesn't either
because he has to pay for it.

Configured correctly it should automatically fire up from a power off
situation, start TCP, etc and he can use his 5250 emulator from his PC as
normal. Think the legends of iseries where the box was plastered into a
closet.

The only thing i'm missing for unattended operation is auto update
functionality. ;)