Eric wrote:
Comments, anyone?

The rebranding makes sense to me. Why link PDM, SEU, and native compilers to the Websphere brand? It would have more sense to me for IBM to initially limit the Websphere brand to products that ran under Websphere Application Server (portal, etc.).

The unbundling and repackaging also makes sense to me. And so does user based pricing. How will IBM know what customers are using otherwise? How will IBM know if the new tools are successful otherwise? Announced pricing may still not be competitive, but that's easier to adjust over time. Personally I hope the price of ADTS and native compilers comes down to be more in line with IBM's cost to support them.

RDi SOA appears to be well positioned to compete against Microsoft Visual Studio and .Net - feature wise.

For me personally, I'm happy with ADTS and the ILE compilers. I haven't needed IBM's Eclipse based tools. The new pricing works to my advantage.

Nathan.