My first experience with CRW was Crystal 7. It was a dog. It did bring the
entire database down to the pc. If you were lucky and careful, it could group
on the serve and just send the group results.

Currently, the application I support uses Crystal 8.5. It is much faster. Tends to do a LOT more on the server. Simple reports at Crystal 7 could take
hours, but the same report at Crystal 8.5 takes seconds. Some of that might
also be the server upgrade, and/or change from btrieve to MS-SQL. Don't know
and no way to find out as that server is long gone.

Late Friday, I printed a portion of the report I had generated so far. Came to
180+ pages.

Looking at that big partial report and the much smaller report now, after adding
the first part of the AS/400 primary key as a parameter to the subreport, I see
differences. The big report has information on it that is not on the smaller
report. Simple terms: names were skipped on the small report. I am looking
into that now. I am wondering if my first effort Friday, where subreport only
had key 2 given to it might have retrieved records incorrectly.

John McKee

Quoting vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx:

John

It's been so long that I've messed with Crystal and hated it! Crystal makes least common denominator decisions. - Crystal will tend to bring everything down, then do the filtering and sorting on the local machine - horrible if you need a small subset from the server. But there is some way to make things run on the server.

Maybe that will start you in a good direction

Vern

From: John McKee <jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Ideally, I would create a view. But, that could also cause other issues to
surface, due to among other things, politics.

Crystal Report Writer does have the capability to convert to SQL. I
did not lwt
it complete, but retrieved the initial definition, which is below. In looking
at that SQL, it does not contain anything about the database on the AS/400,
which is accessed, painfully slowly, by a subreport.

Is there a way to modify this SQL to access both databases at one time?

This is the main report SQL:

SELECT
POST_CASE."MEDICAL_RECORD_NO", POST_CASE."PATIENT_NAME",
POST_CASE."DELETE_FLAG",
CLINICAL."FACILITY_ACCOUNT_NO",
FACILITY_PATIENT."FMRN",
IMPLANT."CASE_NO",
DEMOGRAPHIC."PATIENT_NAME"
FROM
{ oj ((("ORSOSLIVE"."ORSOSLIVE"."POST_CASE" POST_CASE LEFT OUTER JOIN
"ORSOSLIVE"."ORSOSLIVE"."FACILITY_PATIENT" FACILITY_PATIENT ON
POST_CASE."MEDICAL_RECORD_NO" =
FACILITY_PATIENT."MEDICAL_RECORD_NO" AND
POST_CASE."FACILITY_ID" = FACILITY_PATIENT."FACILITY_ID")
LEFT OUTER JOIN "ORSOSLIVE"."ORSOSLIVE"."IMPLANT" IMPLANT ON
POST_CASE."CASE_NO" = IMPLANT."CASE_NO")
LEFT OUTER JOIN "ORSOSLIVE"."ORSOSLIVE"."CLINICAL" CLINICAL ON
POST_CASE."ACCOUNT_NO" = CLINICAL."ACCOUNT_NO")
LEFT OUTER JOIN "ORSOSLIVE"."ORSOSLIVE"."DEMOGRAPHIC" DEMOGRAPHIC ON
FACILITY_PATIENT."MEDICAL_RECORD_NO" = DEMOGRAPHIC."MEDICAL_RECORD_NO"}
WHERE
(POST_CASE."DELETE_FLAG" IS NULL OR
(POST_CASE."DELETE_FLAG" = 'z' OR
POST_CASE."DELETE_FLAG" = ' ')) AND
IMPLANT."CASE_NO" IS NOT NULL
ORDER BY
DEMOGRAPHIC."PATIENT_NAME" ASC

And this is the subreport SQL. For purposes of getting immediate
access to the
SQL, I had to enter the subreport parameter, which is just a short string,
specifically "123456". This is not the entire key field, as the
subreport also
needs to test for BRMDRWU."RWHSP#" = 1

SELECT
BRMDRWU."RWMRC#", BRMDRWU."RWACCT"
FROM
"S1015362"."BSYDTAC"."BRMDRWU" BRMDRWU
WHERE
BRMDRWU."RWACCT" = 123456

(DUH category now)

I changed the subreport to use a hard codes record selection for
RWHSP#, so now
subreport SQL now looks like this:

SELECT
BRMDRWU."RWHSP#", BRMDRWU."RWMRC#", BRMDRWU."RWACCT"
FROM
"S1015362"."BSYDTAC"."BRMDRWU" BRMDRWU
WHERE
BRMDRWU."RWACCT" = 123456 AND
BRMDRWU."RWHSP#" = 1

I am very troubled by this. Before I added the proper second parameter, for
RWHSP#, it was agonizingly slow, but produced a report for last name starting
with "A" that was over 80 pages long. Now, it is blazing fast, but report is
now 8 pages?????

Since RWHSP# is key 1 and RWACCT is key 2 of the AS/400 database file, it is
obvious that both should be in the selection report. In better than 99
percent
of the time, RWHSP# will be equal to 1. But, why is report so very much
shorter? That is a question I am asking myself and also wondering if
something
else might be going on that some guru might be able to answer for me.

Thanks.

John McKee