John

It's been so long that I've messed with Crystal and hated it! Crystal makes least common denominator decisions. - Crystal will tend to bring everything down, then do the filtering and sorting on the local machine - horrible if you need a small subset from the server. But there is some way to make things run on the server.

Maybe that will start you in a good direction

Vern

From: John McKee <jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Ideally, I would create a view. But, that could also cause other issues to
surface, due to among other things, politics.

Crystal Report Writer does have the capability to convert to SQL. I
did not lwt
it complete, but retrieved the initial definition, which is below. In looking
at that SQL, it does not contain anything about the database on the AS/400,
which is accessed, painfully slowly, by a subreport.

Is there a way to modify this SQL to access both databases at one time?

This is the main report SQL:

SELECT
POST_CASE."MEDICAL_RECORD_NO", POST_CASE."PATIENT_NAME",
POST_CASE."DELETE_FLAG",
CLINICAL."FACILITY_ACCOUNT_NO",
FACILITY_PATIENT."FMRN",
IMPLANT."CASE_NO",
DEMOGRAPHIC."PATIENT_NAME"
FROM
{ oj ((("ORSOSLIVE"."ORSOSLIVE"."POST_CASE" POST_CASE LEFT OUTER JOIN
"ORSOSLIVE"."ORSOSLIVE"."FACILITY_PATIENT" FACILITY_PATIENT ON
POST_CASE."MEDICAL_RECORD_NO" =
FACILITY_PATIENT."MEDICAL_RECORD_NO" AND
POST_CASE."FACILITY_ID" = FACILITY_PATIENT."FACILITY_ID")
LEFT OUTER JOIN "ORSOSLIVE"."ORSOSLIVE"."IMPLANT" IMPLANT ON
POST_CASE."CASE_NO" = IMPLANT."CASE_NO")
LEFT OUTER JOIN "ORSOSLIVE"."ORSOSLIVE"."CLINICAL" CLINICAL ON
POST_CASE."ACCOUNT_NO" = CLINICAL."ACCOUNT_NO")
LEFT OUTER JOIN "ORSOSLIVE"."ORSOSLIVE"."DEMOGRAPHIC" DEMOGRAPHIC ON
FACILITY_PATIENT."MEDICAL_RECORD_NO" = DEMOGRAPHIC."MEDICAL_RECORD_NO"}
WHERE
(POST_CASE."DELETE_FLAG" IS NULL OR
(POST_CASE."DELETE_FLAG" = 'z' OR
POST_CASE."DELETE_FLAG" = ' ')) AND
IMPLANT."CASE_NO" IS NOT NULL
ORDER BY
DEMOGRAPHIC."PATIENT_NAME" ASC

And this is the subreport SQL. For purposes of getting immediate
access to the
SQL, I had to enter the subreport parameter, which is just a short string,
specifically "123456". This is not the entire key field, as the
subreport also
needs to test for BRMDRWU."RWHSP#" = 1

SELECT
BRMDRWU."RWMRC#", BRMDRWU."RWACCT"
FROM
"S1015362"."BSYDTAC"."BRMDRWU" BRMDRWU
WHERE
BRMDRWU."RWACCT" = 123456

(DUH category now)

I changed the subreport to use a hard codes record selection for
RWHSP#, so now
subreport SQL now looks like this:

SELECT
BRMDRWU."RWHSP#", BRMDRWU."RWMRC#", BRMDRWU."RWACCT"
FROM
"S1015362"."BSYDTAC"."BRMDRWU" BRMDRWU
WHERE
BRMDRWU."RWACCT" = 123456 AND
BRMDRWU."RWHSP#" = 1

I am very troubled by this. Before I added the proper second parameter, for
RWHSP#, it was agonizingly slow, but produced a report for last name starting
with "A" that was over 80 pages long. Now, it is blazing fast, but report is
now 8 pages?????

Since RWHSP# is key 1 and RWACCT is key 2 of the AS/400 database file, it is
obvious that both should be in the selection report. In better than 99
percent
of the time, RWHSP# will be equal to 1. But, why is report so very much
shorter? That is a question I am asking myself and also wondering if
something
else might be going on that some guru might be able to answer for me.

Thanks.

John McKee

Quoting Luis Colorado <LuisC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

John,

Your life could be much easier if you could create a SQL view on that
iSeries file (by the way, don't worry too much about the naming...
even the veterans lose track of what's the current name. So you can
call it anyway you want).

If you, or somebody you know is able, create a view using SQL. It
would look something like the following:

CREATE VIEW yourViewName AS
SELECT char(youNumericField) as yourNewField,
... your other fields here ...
FROM PMEMPM

With that, you get a "logical" file named "yourViewName" with a
character field instead of a numeric field.

If it is not possible to create a view, then you can probably use an
SQL query.

I hope that helps,

Luis