I remember hearing this "it's better to have a separate ASP for journals"
also.

Why, exactly, would that make a restore better? If the system ASP dies,
then do you just do a full restore, skipping all libraries in ASP2 and
then ASP1 can point back to the ASP2? (Providing you've added no drives,
etc, since your last SAVSYS.)

I am reasonable sure that Jeff is going to keep using RAID. RAID should
be 4 drives or more. (Yes, if you came straight from a S/36 and you've
never seen a 4 drive raid set then you might not know that a 3 drive raid
set is a performance dog.) His journal space might only end up taking a
small percentage of a four drive set. Thus leaving a ton of space in the
second ASP. when the first ASP starts to fill then he has to start moving
stuff to the second ASP. Basically, it starts to add a lot of management
on where to place stuff. Not only that but you've cut the number of arms
serving any one particular application in half.
Our biggest lpar has 90 drives. Extensive journalling. And only the
system ASP.