From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry Adams
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:28 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Moving an 810, any gotchas?

Chuck Myaard and I used to disassemble a rack mounted AS/400 2 or 3
times each COMMON Conference (this was when everything was still
twinax). Frequently had issues with a dumb terminal or two, but never
with the /400. Later we used to roll a C10 (I think it was, the short
file cabinet, anyway) on the hotel carts - often times across tiled
floors.

Similar to Paul, I threw a 150 in the backseat of my pickup a couple of
years ago. Except for the fact it's on V3 something, it works. Did the
same thing with a Baby/36; still works.

We moved our 520 last year about six feet. Took a photo of the cable
connections beforehand, and then my boss and I just carried it. We roll
our 720 from corner-to-corner every time we "re-decorate" in the
computer room. It's not plugged in so I can't say if it still works,
but it did the last time we plugged it in (a year ago after being moved
around); of course, it's on casters.

Going way back, to get our S/3 to the second floor computer room (no
elevators), put it on a forklift and just eased it to the landing
(those puppies were heavy). Another company I knew back then, used a
crane to lift theirs from the delivery truck to the fifth floor (again,
no elevators).

I think the moral is: These things take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.
But due diligence is always appropriate.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

James Lampert wrote:
Never owned an 810. But we've had (during my own tour of duty) a B20 a
D02, a C04, a 200, a 40s, 2 150s, 2 170s (1 slim, 1 fat), and a 510 (and
a 500 used for parts).

We've moved them all, without trouble. We even moved the D02 short
distances while powered-up and running on its internal battery (when it
had one).

We've rolled the 510 around on its own casters. Over carpet. Big pain in
the butt. Anything we've got that's bigger than a "slim" 170, but too
small to have casters of its own, lives on its own dedicated 4-wheel
dolly.