What Chuck said is good. However, BEFORE I go to that step I:

These steps may not paste well from the Word Subdocument that I use in my
downtime instructions:

********** Verification of PTF installation steps **********

Sign on as QSECOFR
Write down time. __________________

DSPSYSVAL QABNORMSW
Write down the value of this system value. ____________

DSPIPLA OUTPUT(*)
Write down the value of Keylock position. ____________

If, and only if, it is equal to 1=Abnormal
Then our IPL was an abnormal IPL. This may happen for any number of
reasons, most likely being that someone had a job that they used ENDJOBABN
on. The problem with abnormal IPL’s is that ptf’s, other than MF ptf’s,
will not apply. You’ll need to IPL again to clear the abnormal IPL.
Perform orderly shutdown steps for this machine as documented earlier in
these instructions.
Look at the instructions between the orderly shutdown instructions and the
ENDSBS for any special instructions, such as ‘wait for job…’. It is not
necessary to CALL DOWNTIME again.
ENDSBS *ALL *IMMED
DSPMSG QSYSOPR
Wait until message 'System ended to restricted condition' appears. You
may have to hit F10, or F5, several times. This message could take a few
minutes to appear.
Write down time. __________________
PWRDWNSYS *IMMED RESTART(*YES) IPLSRC(B)
Sign on as QSECOFR
Write down time. __________________
DSPSYSVAL QABNORMSW
Write down the value of this system value. ____________
End of special instructions for QABNORMSW
Write down time. __________________

Verify PTF installation.
WRKPTFGRP

If any say ‘Not installed’ then something bad happened during the PTF
install. Do not worry about ‘Not applicable’ and that rot. If you do get
some that say ‘Not installed’ then perform the following steps.
DSPSYSVAL QABNORMSW
Write down the value of this system value. ____________
This one should be 0 for Normal.
DSPIPLA OUTPUT(*)
Write down the value of Keylock position. ____________
This one should be *Normal
DSPSYSVAL QIPLSTS
Write down the value of this system value. ____________
This one should be a 2 for Restart IPL.
If both are at their ‘should be’ values then call Rob Berendt or IBM.
Otherwise perform the following:
Perform your orderly shutdown steps as per the first or second pages of
the downtime instructions for this particular machine.
When you are done with the orderly shutdown steps,
ENDSBS *ALL *IMMED
DSPMSG QSYSOPR
Wait until message ‘System ended to restricted condition’ appears. You
may have to hit F10, or F5, several times. This message could take a few
minutes to appear.
Write down time. __________________
If this machine is controlled by a HMC:
Select this partition and select properties.
In the settings tab, make sure that the ipl type is B and the keylock
position is Normal.
If this machine is not controlled by a HMC:
Make sure that the front of the box shows:
01 B N
If not, then use the up arrow to select 02, then press the blue enter
button. Repeat to change to the B. Repeat to change to the N. When all
done, you should be able to use the arrows to get back to 01 and verify.
Reference:
01 = Display IPL settings
02 = Change IPL settings
After getting all this set, then enter the following at the command line:
PWRDWNSYS *IMMED RESTART(*YES) IPLSRC(B)
Repeat “Verification of PTF installation steps”.

DSPPTF
The first screen will be for program product 5722999.
If you see:
IPL Source: ##MACH#B
PTF IPL
Opt ID Status action
TL07282 Temporarily applied None
then okay. Otherwise, if you do not see TL07282 (or TL57282 on those
machines running V5R4M5),
or if it has a status of Not applied,
or if the IPL source ends in other than B,
call IBM.
If everything is okay then press Enter. The next program product will be
5722SS1.
If you see:
IPL Source: ##MACH#B
PTF IPL
Opt ID Status action
TC07282 Temporarily applied None
then okay. Otherwise, if you do not see TC07282,
or if it has a status of Not applied,
or if the IPL source ends in other than B,
call IBM.
If everything is okay then press F3
Write down time. __________________

GO LICPGM