From: Scott Johnson

We have an outside consultant using the JTOpen JDBC driver to connect to
our i5 (v5r4). They are using apache, tomcat, hibernate, and such. They
are saying that their connections are getting dropped after a time of
in-activity. They have asked me if there are any settings on the i5 that
control this. From what I have been able to find out via searching is
that
there is nothing and that it has to do with how they have the connection
set-up on their side. I just need confirmation that this would be true
and
I can then throw it back into their lap.

I checked the "TCP keep alive" setting on the i5 and it is set to 120
(default). I could change this down to a lower level, but I don't see how
that would solve their problem. The first person in the morning after an
long evening of inactivity on the website would still have problems.

Hi Scott!

This may be better suited in the Java400 list, but since it's a pretty short
answer, we can leave it here for now.

The short version is: "drops happen" and "Hibernate doesn't like them". For
more, read here:

http://www.michaelstudman.com/fullfathomfive/articles/2004/06/07/mysql-dropp
ing-connections-and-hibernate

Basically, you have to set up a more sophisticated pooling mechanism to use
Hibernate in production. My guess is that your outside consultant is using
the default pooling in Hibernate, which basically stinks.

Joe