Keith,

You can't sent attachments to this mailing list. Just copy/paste the text on the screens into the actual e-mail message.

If FTP works on it's normal port (21) but doesn't work on 2000, then it's almost certainly a firewall issue. The underlying IP protocol for port 21 and port 2000 are identical. The only difference is that one variable in the header of the packet (think of this as a field in a record) is set to 21 instead of 2000. This field is not used for routing. It's only used by the destination system to know which application to talk to -- and by firewalls that want to block particular applications.

Any way... sounds like you have things working now, but you don't know why. I suspect that someone changed the (supposedly non-existent) firewall to let the connection through.

keith wrote:
hi scott..

here is the latest information the informtion you requested is in 6 word documents which i cannot seem to be able to copy the images from and post into this email..or anywhere else it seems..is it allowed to post this as attachments or can i send them to you direct..

this morning i also tried to do a direct ftp between the two systems..it works going each way if no port is specified..when i specified the port 2000 the ftp gave the following message..TCP10B0 cannot establish a connection with the principal system 192.168.1.100 (or 192.168.2.10 depending on the direction tried) in the location 192.168.1.100..try again later..
cause..cannot establish a control connection..

dont know if this helps..maybe ftp itself wont work if you specify a port..like ping does not work if you specify a port..

let me know about the attachments..my problem is that i dont have email on the as400 system pc and i have to send the screen captures to someone else in a ms word document so they can then send them to my personal email here where i can access them..

thanks..

keith