I didn't use CD's when I created an image catalog. I downloaded from IBM
to my desk top/network drive and from there to the IFS image catalog share.

http://projectdream.org/wordpress/2007/05/24/installing-system-i-ptfs-using-image-catalogs/

Regards,

Guy

Jerry Adams
<jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
om> cc:
Sent by: Subject: Re: Applying Cumes
midrange-l-bounces@m
idrange.com

12/07/2007 07:49 AM
Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion

Aaron,

These days I always use image catalogues, which require that the images
be in an IFS folder. I use the Download Director recommended by Greg
Gallas Prior to that I used to download the images via FTP option and
then cut CD's from those. I've never used the iNav method so I can't
speak to that one, but there are instructions (somewhere), though I
think that is used to install fixes downloaded as save files from the
support line.

Anyway, it sounds like you just downloaded the images to a PC folder,
which would then require the cut to CD (using Nero, Roxio or such) and
then sitting in front of the i5 swapping the CD's. I don't know what
happened to your PC folder, but I doubt that what you downloaded is what
iNav is installing since the images (CD, save files, or catalogues) must
be on the i5.

I think that Guy is right that what iNav is installing are the fixes
that your support line downloaded as save files (QGPL, I think).

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Aaron Bartell wrote:
This is a continuation from a thread started on WEB400-L (wasn't
appropriate
there anymore).

So I took Pluta's and Haases comments and headed over to Fix Central to
try
and download the latest Cume in an effort to get my system completely up
date. I went through the whole process of selecting Cume and then
selecting
HTTP, DB2 and Java related fixes/updates, and that led me to enter my
i5's
IP/user/password screen, and that led me to a download page where a 400MB
download started and was _supposed_ to be going to a folder on my
desktop.
I watched the download all the way to 98% and then got distracted (my son
wanted to watch Bob-The-Builder on the PC:-). Once I went back to that
Firefox tab later in the evening it wasn't at the download page or wasn't
there anymore (I am not sure).

So here's what I am wondering. That desktop folder which _should_ have
had
the downloads was empty upon review - should it be? Do the files
automatically get uploaded to the i5? I didn't notice a difference in
disk
usage percentage (still at 66.x%).

I started fishing around and found the "Install software fixes" task in
iSeries Navigator and clicked that. I told it to apply all fixes for all
products and all versions. It is now showing me this screen:
http://mowyourlawn.com/temp/i5_update1.png

I checked WRKACTJOB and there is a job pounding away at updates, so it
appears to be working, but how can I be sure it is applying the updates I
just downloaded? Or the other side of my brain is saying "how could it
be
updating anything else?".

Should I just start the Fix Central process over from the beginning? The
download only took about 2hrs.

Thanks to anyone who can help out this newbie sys admin:-)

Aaron Bartell

http://mowyourlawn.com