Burns, Bryan wrote:
I myself am trying to learn about the IFS. When someone says IFS and doesn't specify a file system, what do she mean? QSYS.LIB? Isn't QDLS one of the 11 file systems in the IFS?

Usually when when someone refers to the IFS, they mean the root file system. You are correct that technically the QSYS and QDLS are both filesystems under the IFS, as is the root filesystem.

I'm working on transferring data from an Excel CSV file to a PF using a CL command; but if I could drag and drop the CSV to the "IFS" that would work too.

You can set up Netserver on the System i to make part of the root file system available as a Windows 'share'. You can also use NFS to make these directories available to NFS clients on the network. Then, you can mount this 'share' as a drive on your client and transfer files in the usual drag-and-drop way. Once you have the CSV file in the root file system, you can process it using the IFS APIs that allow you to process stream files from HLLs on i5/OS. See Scott Klement has some great resources here: http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/ifs.html

Another way to get Excel data into a PF is to use the Excel extensions that come with Client Access. These give you menu options under the Data menu in Excel that allow you to transfer directly to a PF. However, troubleshooting this process can be a big pain, as the data transfer tool is somewhat opaque.

Hope this helps,
Adam