On 11/14/07, Steve Richter <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I always err when I judge a language on syntax. that example

I've realized that the ILE environment has a few very cool features
that are not found otherwise, or are harder to implement (per your
example).

But in order for the System i to sustain, it is vital and important to
gain new people on the train, not just preventing existing customers
from leaving. And for these new customers, the first impression is so
very, very important.

Take for example the HMC v7 GUI. It looks very polished, and like a
good product. It probably was produced by the System p folks :)

Now, take the QU2 Web interface, or iSeries Navigator (Branding!!!)
that disables Aero even when fully up-to-date - iSeries Access
(Branding!) is generally a PITA under Vista - and it's not like
Vista's release was a surprise for everyone.

Or the RPG language. I mean, when a customer's developer asks me in
what language our product was written, i can only tell them that it is
RPG - after which they'll ask me if i'm joking. This is not good.

A young developer that has extensive experience with .NET and is told
to get started on Java would probably say "same sh*t, different
color".

I remember a System i event here in Switzerland, back in 2005 (or 06).
Some important IBM person said "WOW, we gained 2500 new customers last
year -".

I thought that it didn't sound that bad, all in Switzerland has only a
population of around 7 Million people. But he continued
"- WORLDWIDE"

That sounded bad. But he moved on
"- customers that haven't bought a System i in the last 5 years also
count as new"

And soon the "not so bad" numbers were "really, god damn, awful bad".