First, a user is any person that authenticates to your system. That is, a userid and password is used to uniquely identify that person to the system. It does not matter if the person has a user profile on your System i, if it takes a userid and password to gain access to a program, then that person is a user.

The following would all add to the user count:

A 5250 interactive program is run when a user logs onto your system. That person is a user.

You have a web application running that may use a single user id and password to make a DB connection to DB2/400 AND that database connection passes a user ID and password to a program that uniquely identifies the user. That person is a user and EVERY person that authenticates through that same mechanism would ADD to the user count. For example, you may have a single user profile that authenticates to DB2/400 and then 20 users access your web program using that same DB connection. Then you have 20 users authenticated and need 20 user entitlements

You have a PHP application running in PASE but still have a connection to DB2/400 and then a single authenticated DB connection carries 20 users. Then you have 20 users on the system and need 20 user entitlements.

You have 10 "generic" user profiles that multiple people use to access the system. Since they do not uniquely identify the user, you only need 10 user entitlements.

Remember also that it is *concurrent* counts that you need to make. So if you have 10 "generic" user ids and only 5 of them are in use at any one time, then you only need 5 user entitlements.

Another thing to remember is that external users are counted *just* like internal users. However, you can purchase unlimited external user entitlement "package" that allows all external users to be entitled to access the system as authenticated users with one caveat: Those external users cannot be "employees" of your company. Uniquely identified employees must be counted as part of your regular user count even if they access the system externally.

What wouldn't be a user? An application that doesn't require a user ID and password to access the system. Browsing a web site would be an example of this. Also, if none of the authentication takes place in i5/OS, then it doesn't count as a user. For example a PHP application running in PASE and using MySQL in PASE would NOT require a user entitlement no matter how many users access the system.

I think the key phrase is "uniquely identified user". Regardless of how it is done, a user that can have a unique identity in your application will require a user entitlement, if your application run in or authenticates in i5/OS. In addition, that same user can be signed on to multiple devices/sessions and will still count as 1 user.

If you plan for lots of external access by non-employees, then get the unlimited external user package.

Also, the IBM supplied user profiles do not count as well.

Pete Helgren

Jon S wrote:
I have a customer who is looking at buying a new i515 and we are fuzzy on what the definition of a user is. I can't find any info on IBM's website and I want the make sure the salesman is telling us correctly, that a user profile can sign on to multiple session and it still only counts as one.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Connect and share anywhere with Windows Live. http://www.windowslive.com/connect.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_connectshare_112007