It looks like from the perspective of the iSeries this will look like a Windows file server (SMB) that can also talk FTP. You should be able to mount this under the QNTC IFS file system and then do savefile saves or use virtual tape to that IFS location. Or you could do your saves to the local IFS (using iSeries disk space) and then FTP them to this device and delete the IFS files. I would take the second approach if the NAS device was not under my direct control. I would not want to run the risk of not having a backup because someone else filled up the NAS or decided to take it off line during your backup time or there was a network problem that took down communications.

Your still going to need to get your backups off site, most likely on tape, if this NAS device is in the same location as your iSeries.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Allen
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:51 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Attach a NAS device to the System i

Just to clarify, the network guys are ordering it for "themselves" but if I
can use it :)

On 10/20/07, Mark Allen <scprideandms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In order to help with our backups, we are ordering a NAS device ,a Buffalo
TeraStation Pro II with 4 TB of raw disk space.

I'd like to know if this could be attached to out System i in some way to
use instead of our dinsoaur tapes... I know next to nothing about this kind
of device but the specs from their web site are below.

LAN Interface Standard Compliance IEEE802.3ab / IEEE802.3u / IEEE802.3Standard (1000BASE-T / 100BASE-TX / 10BASE-T) Data
Transfer Rates 10 / 100 / 1000 Mbps Connector Type RJ-45 Number of Ports
1 Internal Hard Drives Number of Drives 4 Drive Interface SATA Hard
Drive Sizes 250GB, 500GB, 750GB Total Capacity 1.0 TB, 2.0 TB Rotational
Speed 7200 RPM Supported RAID Levels 0, 1, 5, 10, JBOD Interface Standard
Compliance USB 2.0 Connector Type USB Series A Number of Ports 2 Data
Transfer Rates Max: 480 Mbps (High Speed Mode)
Max: 12 Mbps (Full Speed Mode) Protocol Support Networking TCP/IP File
Sharing SMB, FTP Directory Integration Active Directory Management HTTP,
DFS Time Syncronization NTP Others Dimensions (WxHxD in.) 6.69 x 12.2 x
9.25 Weight (lbs) 16.1 Power Consumption (Watts) 60 Operating
Environment (Fahrenheit) 32-95° Setup Utility OS Support Windows
Operating Systems Client OS Support Windows(R) XP, Windows(R) 2000, Windows(R)
Me, Windows(R) NT 4.0, Windows(R) 98 SE, Linux (SMB) Power Supply internal,
AC100V 50/60 Hz