***posted once before...didn't come through...hopefully this won't
duplicate...***

I've been asked to explain my solution...

I had an existing query that began to fail as soon as I added LCASE(COLUMN)
as selection in the query...which is why I started researching my issues
with that function. I dug deeper into my job log and found that my issue
was with a comparison I was performing on a different column in my WHERE
clause.

There was an invalid comparison in the WHERE clause that was not being
detected at SQL statement compile time. As well, becuase of the chosen
access plan (path) the invalid comparison was not encountered because
affected records had already been removed from selection.

Adding the LCASE(COLUMN) argument changed my access path. The new path
encountered the invalid argument while affected records were still available
for selection and failed at run-time.

Hopefully this is not too vague without schema info.

Thanks

Ryan Hunt

"Ryan Hunt" <ryan.hunt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:felapk$2bo$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Found my problem...thanks. RH

"Ryan Hunt" <ryan.hunt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:fel8ri$qbd$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am getting data conversion mapping error (type 6: Numeric data that is
not
valid) when trying to use the LCASE function on a CHAR(30) column. The
only
difference I see between this column and other that I can LCASE is that
it
is a CCSID 37 while the others are CCSID 65535.

CCSID means very little to me... It sounds like a collation option, but
as
an MS SQL DBA/DBD, I am used to database level collations...not column
level.

Is the CCSID blocking use of the LCASE function?

list
MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx

list
MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx