I am glad you chimed in Lukas. Your company's app is actually the idea I am
trying to recommend here (I don't know if you remember us talking about it
earlier this year or not on the midrange chat).

Your company was able to retain their millions of i5 dollars (software,
business logic, salaries, hardware, etc) by implementing a solution that
didn't start out as black and white (i.e. "we need GUI, we better start
putting everything on the client"). Instead your team determined a pseudo
"browser" could be created on the client that would render screens based on
definitions sent down from the server. The best part about it is you
probably do very little .NET programming after the initial "shell" client
was created and now your RPG developers can simply define screens in your
format and run from there without having to involve .NET knowledge - very
nice.

I would be curious to know if you guys implemented any sort of debugging
infrastructure (i.e. ability to flip a switch and have all incoming/outgoing
communications for a particular session be logged for review by an RPG
programmer)?

You should see if one of the developers would be willing to write an article
on the approach as this is exactly what i5 shops should be looking at as
their pathway to getting GUI apps for their applications.

Thanks for posting!!
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com