I understand that you have mapped a drive to //system/root/home/user. But, what if the user clicks Start/Run and types //system/somethingelse/somethingelse? Will they be granted access to that other area?

I guess my point is this: Users can access network resources without having to map drives to them. Make sure that your System i security is set up so that users only have access to the areas they're SUPPOSED to have access to. This is done by setting permissions on directories, NOT by controlling where drives are mapped to.

Now that that's is out of the way...

Our company has the following setup:

/home/username = the user's home directory

/home/group/deptname/public = an area for each department in the company
to put documents that they want everyone
else in the company to be able to
read/write.

/home/group/deptment/private = an area for each department to put
documents only readable/writable by that
department (nobody else)

That way, each user has their own private space, but also has a place to share data with their department or with the entire company (but organized by department).

If requested, we'll also set up areas that are specific to a given purpose. For example, the Safety department has a plethora of documents about how to operate equipment safely, lift boxes safely, etc, etc. They have a special share set up that's read/write within their department, but read-only to the company at large, so that they can make that stuff accessible to everyone, but only changeable to them.

Pat Barber wrote:
I don't have a lot experience with the IFS, but at the
moment, I have each user with a folder in the IFS in
the "home" directory...

//system/root/home/user

Each user has a mapped drive that points to their
folder. That all works just fine.

They now want to share docs between these different
folders.

How can I allow them access to other people's folders
and still keep some form of security ???

I don't want to open up the entire world to all the
folders.

I have thought about a "common folder" that anybody
would have access to and map a drive to this common
folder.