If the goal is reducing downtime then that can be achieved with one of the
following:

1 - Faster tape drive.

2 - Saving to save file or virtual tape PROVIDING that your disk arms and
controllers do not start thrashing about. (See my earlier discussion
about this.)

3 - Studying "check point processing" and implementing that in a "save
while active" strategy.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzaiu/rzaiurzaiu300.htm

4 - Utilizing journals, commitment control and careful save while active
to forego any outage.

5 - Eschewing journals and commitment control and playing Russian Roulette
with SAVACT(*SYSDFN). Relying on your holy beads to ensure that data
stays in sync (like order header vs order detail).