from: James Lampert <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Trevor Perry wrote:
How can you claim to be a modern language if you are using O-specs? Making
your file processes an integral part of your application program is a step
backwards.
If you had actually read the message to which you were responding, you
would have noticed that I said, in so many words, that I have never been
able to make constructive use of O-specs.

We use o-specs all the time to produce the ZPL output for our Zebra label printers, just override QPRINT with the RMTOUTQ for the printer and then...

FQPRINT O F 132 PRINTER USROPN
DLBLQTY S 3 0 INZ(001)
... Some code ...
C EVAL LBLQTY = 100
C OPEN QPRINT
C EXCEPT LBLQ
C CLOSE QPRINT
... More and more code ...
OQPRINT E LBLQ
O '~CC¬'
O '¬XA'
OQPRINT E LBLQ
O '¬LH10,10'
O '¬PQ'
O LBLQTY
O '¬BY3,3,100'
... Some actual label formatting in here ...
OQPRINT E LBLQ
O '¬XZ'

... Plenty useful, and very simple.