Lukas,

Well I would disagree about the technical solutions tests. (Note that there are two and you didn't specify Implementor or Designer).

First off I would challenge you to find a part number on any test. We simply do not use part numbers period. I believe you were referring to feature codes however so I will address those.

As I mentioned we try to stay away from wrote memorization of data because it can be looked up. However when the panel working on a test hits various questions we tackle the feature code issue in one of three ways:

1) Specify just the feature code. The FC #4326 is one of those because those are fantastically common. Same with the FC #0595 expansion unit and a bunch of others. Our thinking is that if you want be a certified System Designer you simply must remember the feature code for the three disk units that we currently sell. First off there are only three, they are consecutive numbered, they are required on every single system no matter what the size with the singular exception of systems that IPL from SAN.

2) Fully spell out what the feature code is. For example we may say "FC #4326 35GB 15K RPM Disk Unit." In this case the Feature code is in there but you didn't need to memorize it because we defined it. There will be a lot of these type of questions in Technical Solutions tests because they ARE about the hardware and the software.

3) Don't ask a question about the feature code!

There simply are a core group of codes you will know if you are certifiable. If you ask the average RPG coder to write down all the opcodes they could think of the list would probably be quite long. They may not know every factor but they'll know the base codes, this is the same with feature codes for the System i. If your answer to every question is "I would look that up' then you don't qualify to be certified.

We include as many real world things as possible but for technical design especially we're writing a test for brand new stuff and since it's design there will be less opportunities for actual real world situations. Now for something like operations or administration there are many many more of these. Even implementor has many more than designer.

As to the 595 and big 570 questions we include a few of those but try hard NOT to ask too many. We know that IBM sells 515/520/525s 1000 to one over the 595s, probably more. So proportionally we focus on the smaller machines as much as possible. That said though we do ask things about the bigger machines that you should know. Or you'll get those wrong but do well enough on the small systems parts of the test that you still pass. Remember that passing the test doesn't make you a 'Guru' it means you are at least a 'minimally qualified candidate.'

I did not participate in the System x tests as they were developed in Europe this time so I can't comment on the thought process of those tests.

- Larry

Lukas Beeler wrote:
I can't tell you much about developer certifications, but i've done a
few technical IBM exams:

074 System x Windows Installation & Performance

A rather well designed test. Still some stupid questions about high end
machines.

868 System i Technical Solutions V5R4

Tests your ability to remember part numbers and their abilities. Very
few real world questions.

071 System x Technical Principles

Tests your ability to remember part numbers and their abilities.

866 eServer i5 iSeries Technical Solutions

Again, more part numbers.

I've done a few other certifications from HP (Systems Integration plus
some Sales stuff) and also a few Microsoft certifications (MCSE, MCITP).

HP's exams are the worst in my opinion (To many part number questions),
while Microsoft made clearly the best exams I've taken so far - very
focused on the technology, and not on marketing stuff or remembering
SKUs.

Whoever thought that asking for part numbers in a technical exam is a
valid way to go is just stupid. I don't know much about what things a
595 needs, nor do I care. I also don't care how an 8 processor System x
works. I also don't remember part numbers well.