I can't tell you much about developer certifications, but i've done a
few technical IBM exams:

074 System x Windows Installation & Performance

A rather well designed test. Still some stupid questions about high end
machines.

868 System i Technical Solutions V5R4

Tests your ability to remember part numbers and their abilities. Very
few real world questions.

071 System x Technical Principles

Tests your ability to remember part numbers and their abilities.

866 eServer i5 iSeries Technical Solutions

Again, more part numbers.

I've done a few other certifications from HP (Systems Integration plus
some Sales stuff) and also a few Microsoft certifications (MCSE, MCITP).

HP's exams are the worst in my opinion (To many part number questions),
while Microsoft made clearly the best exams I've taken so far - very
focused on the technology, and not on marketing stuff or remembering
SKUs.

Whoever thought that asking for part numbers in a technical exam is a
valid way to go is just stupid. I don't know much about what things a
595 needs, nor do I care. I also don't care how an 8 processor System x
works. I also don't remember part numbers well.