Hi Scott

As I read your email you are proposing to do a mixed release migration as
per the V5R3 upgrade book. If this is correct, then from my experience what
you outlined would work fine, presuming you can install V5R3 onto the 520 -
and I don't know of any reason you wouldn't be able to, although you may
want to make sure your LIC is V5R3M5. I've done much the same thing a number
of times from similar equipment. The points you made in other emails would
cover off anything else you need to address, particularly the SYSINF stuff
to grab the system values and having the config source.

As far as the config goes, I have generally found it easier to just manually
update the various lines and controllers with the new resource names but it
depends on how many parts you are talking about.

Adding the V5R4 upgrade on afterwards would make this a fairly long install
process I would think - best part of a weekend depending on how much data
you have and what tape drive is on the old box. If you have a choice attach
an LTO to the 600 :) Don't forget to run the process to reserve the LIC
space on the load source before commencing the V5R4 upgrade and I suppose
you could also create the QSYS/QWCTIMZON data area or set this value
afterwards. If I had a V5R2/3/4 box I would create image catalogs for the
V5R4 upgrade and restore them onto the new machine at some stage to complete
the V5R4 portion, it will probably save you at least a bit of time, or allow
you to do less for the last part of the upgrade.

As a point of interest, I've seen at least one upgrade done as a mixed
release migration from V5R1 to V5R4 that worked fine, although no doubt it
would be highly dependent on what was installed on the original box.

Regards
Evan Harris